Tuesday, January 29, 2013

helping out baby Ronan with my diet

hello, it's been a while. one month after that post I got pregnant! on june 15, 2012, I delivered a healthy 8 lb 1 oz baby boy named Ronan Jamie. he's the center of our life now, and since I am nursing him, I pay close attention to how what I eat affects him.

I went off GAPS and started eating everything, still sans gluten, of course, around nov 2011, and continued after the birth. lots of eggs, butter, aged cheeses like cheddar, some grains and legumes, nuts and seeds, and tons of veg and fruit (just shying away from cruciferous fam and citrus for the babe). he had some spitup and gas and hiccups, and then started having dry skin and little rashes on his shins, thighs and wrists around 2 mos. then he started teething early and cut his first tooth just shy of 5 mos. teething has confused us as to what was a reaction to food I was eating or just a side effect of teething.

he got a full trunk rash after we started him on baby rice cereal, and he got constipated, around 6 mos. poor Ronan! so we stopped solids and I stopped eggs and dairy for 4 weeks. we started him on veg to stimulate his bowel -- avocado, butternut squash, and sweet potato. then I added eggs and dairy back in minimally, and the trunk rash was finally gone! but, he still wasn't pooping every day. one day he puked a few times, and went off solids completely, only wanting to nurse. sigh~ so now I am on another elimination diet -- no eggs, no dairy, no soy, no chocolate. we hope this helps! he seems to be self-regulating, which is good. then we can start him on avocado again...hopefully a third time starting solids will be a charm!

in the meantime, I adapted this Living Without recipe for avocado pancakes -- really good! no gluten, no eggs, no dairy, no sugar:

Avocado Pancakes
(add chocolate chips for someone you love on Valentine's Day)
1 cup your fave g-f flour blend
1/2 c almond meal
1/2 c brown rice flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
2 T olive oil + 1 T for skillet
1 t vanilla
1 med avocado pureed
2 c non-dairy milk of choice (I did almond)
opt choc chips (none for me, sadly)
combine dry ingred and form a well. add wet and mix.
heat a skillet and add oil, drop in about 1/4 c at a time and flip after you see bubbles forming. add more oil to pan as needed. if you're doing the choc chips, add them in before you flip.

enjoy~

No comments: