Friday, July 22, 2011

ch ch cherry bars!



it's a swampy 105 degrees here in northern VA, so what better afternoon activity than baking, I say? ...it was totally worth it. the soundtrack made it -- dr john and his swamp-rock record gris gris. don't fear the voodoo magic.

almond-coconut bars (also can be pie crust, just add fresh or stewed fruit!) these are great raw, as well. I always use soaked nuts...
2 c any combo grated coconut, almonds (or other nuts), dried fruit
(I did 1/2 c coconut, 1/2 c apricots and dates, 1 c almonds)
1/4 c nut butter
1/8 c coconut oil
2 T raw honey
pinch of sea salt

oil a small pan (mine was a very small le creuset, like 6 x 4, so double this recipe for 8 x 8 or pie). preheat oven to 300.

food process finely grated coconut and fruit. add nut butter, oil, honey and salt and pulse about 20x or til it looks chunky.

press it into pan. if it's too dry add more nut butter and/or honey.
bake for 20 mins. pull it out and cut squares. put it back in for 5-8 mins til it's golden on top. let cool a bit (will fall apart otherwise; it will be worth the wait!).

in the meantime, make some stewed fruit for a topping. I did a handful of black cherries and a peach with a hit of cinnamon. you could add honey, but I felt like it didn't need it. if I wasn't saving my last bit of homemade yoghurt to make the next batch, I totally would've topped it with a dollop. or whipped cream, or ice cream. the possibilities are endless!

these are really good by themselves, too.

enjoy! and be well.
luv,
GC

No comments: