Monday, January 10, 2011

Baking Madness!

As I am whiling away my day off -- baking, making soup, practicing for an upcoming show and doing yoga, I am anticipating a yucky phone call. The one where I find out the results of my latest food allergy blood test.

Last week yielded some good milestones sought after and achieved, followed by some crashing and burning. So, there's been a bit of a pity party this week, and probably I will have some more bad news delivered today (my DH is back in full force, along with some other symptoms that have been kept at bay -- hoping I haven't developed more sensitivities/allergies, but it seems unlikely, given my state of inflammation). So, let the party continue!

pity party included:
turkey bacon BLAC's (bacon, lettuce, avocado, cheddar -- with sauerkraut, essentially a Reuben!
rice chips (Lundberg farms sea salt variety)
some sips of oogave root beer (g-f agave nectar root beer!)
scookies (see recipe below)
a half glass of Orleans Hill Organic and Sulfite-free Syrah
nightshade free homemade minestrone soup
buckwheat amaranth coconut loaf (see recipe below)


I went off-recipe with the scookies, but I experimented today and came up with this measured out recipe to share:

Scookies

half cookie, half scone. you decide. either way, they're really hottt with hot cocoa or tea.

cut together with a fork or pastry cutter:
1/2 c brown rice flour
1/2 c tapioca starch
1/2 c almond meal
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
2 T spectrum shortening
2 T coconut oil, softened (or 4 T butter, Earth Bal, etc)

add:
1 egg, beaten
3-4 T honey
1/2 c pureed pumpkin
1-2 t bourbon vanilla

fold in:
handful of dried cherries, chocolate chips or whatever you're feeling

drop spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet
bake at 350 8-10 mins

yields 9-12 scookies

YUM!


now for the loaf:

buckwheat amaranth coconut loaf


for your 2 lb loaf breadmaker...

1 1/2 c almond milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 T yoghurt
3 T honey
2 T app cid vin
1/8 c olive oil
mix and add:
1 c buckwheat flour
1 c brown rice flour
1 c amaranth flour
1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 c tapioca starch
1 t sea salt
1 t xanthan or guar gum
form a well in center and add in 1 T yeast

approx 4 hours later, you will have a yummy loaf to make sandwiches with or serve with soup (I made a homemade nightshade free minestrone soup = yum).

enjoy! happy 2011~

No comments: