Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Honey-Lemon Christmas Cookies!

Happy Solstice, everyone!

We like to celebrate the winter solstice with a ritual to re-light the sun, a medieval carol singalong and a yankee swap with close friends. What better snack to have tonight than my childhood Xmas cookie de-glutened and de-cane sugared?!
Here they are, handsome devils:



(yes, these are lambs, squirrels, stars and guitars, or viols!)

Recipe:

Honey-Lemon Christmas Cookies


2/3 c butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 c honey
2 t g-f lemon extract
5 1/2 c g-f flour
(I used 4 1/2 c white and brown rice flours, 1/2 c tapioca and 1/2 c almond meal)
1-2 t baking soda
1 t sea salt

cream together butter (I used half spectrum shortening and half butter), eggs (or egg replacer), honey and lemon extract.
add dry ingredients.
refrigerate for several hours (overnight is best).
take out 15 mins before you want to start rolling it out between white rice flour dusted pieces of parchment paper.
preheat the oven to 350, and prepare baking sheets (either lightly greased or use parchment). roll out your dough (not too thin) and cut out your fave shapes. bake for 5 mins (check to make sure they're done and not too brown). cool, then frost:


Tapioca Maple Frosting


food process:

1 c tapioca flour
1/2 c maple syrup (I used half maple half honey)
2 t vanilla
2 T arrowroot (I used cornstarch)

chill slightly, then frost cooled cookies.

These recipes are tried and true; I wish you success making yours!

love,
goat city

1 comment:

"Cat" will do said...

"So glad to have found you. I saw your comment on the Huff Post article. The internist who finally diagnosed me said I nearly died 30 years ago from gluten allergy.Only months after my second child was born. He was a European doctor practicing in America and knew what was wrong with me right away. I had spent months seeing other doctors who thought I was just whining about nothing (a 50 lb weight loss in two months?) I'm in my 60s now and you remind me I need to take gluten free seriously again as I'm starting to see problems arise (although I eat very little gluten) and I'm a very 'healthy' eater compared to most Americans. Thanks for the reminder, and good for you building this site!