Friday, September 4, 2009

some places gluten hides

Hello, welcome to my mostly food and info plus a little bit of music blog.

Over the past two years of research, I have found out from various sources along the way where gluten can hide, sometimes in food or in the kitchen, but also it can hide in beauty products and household items:

Check the ingredients in your lotion, shampoo, conditioner, hair products like mousse and gel, makeup (especially lipstick) and soap.

Vitamins, cold and flu medicines, pain relievers and prescription meds may contain gluten. Ask your pharmacist to check for you if you are not sure.

Don't lick stamps or envelopes -- the sticky stuff contains wheat paste.

Recycle your toaster, wooden cutting board, rolling pin, wooden spoons, etc. They trap gluten no matter how hard you try to clean them up.

Recently I was munching daily on some roasted sunflower seeds from the Whole Foods. I was feeling unnaturally tired, bloated and puffy-eyed. After seven consecutive days of feeling this way and trying to figure it out, I pinpointed it to my pre-dinner handfuls of seeds -- manufactured on machinery that also handles wheat...when you see that on the label, best to steer clear. Also getting rid of my 365 black pepper and garlic powder for the same reason.

Two years in and I am still learning! I will update this post from time to time as I have more knowledge.
Best of luck if you have been recently diagnosed with celiac disease -- it's a long journey back to health, but if you are diligent, you will have your health back.

No comments: